It finally happened. I get it now. I understand why asparagus is so great. And we have this recipe to thank.
The funny thing is the asparagus isn’t even the focus of this dish. In all honesty, the three components each play their own role and compliment each other perfectly. This is honestly one of the best meals I’ve made in quite some time.
While we’re on the subject of how amazing this meal is, can we talk about those potatoes and that chicken? The potatoes are so velvety soft, it’s almost like eating mashed potatoes. They melt in your mouth just like the best potatoes do. And that chicken! That moist, tender, flavorful chicken with the crispiest of crispy skin. I’m not exaggerating when I say that skin is basically a chicken chip, which is something I didn’t know I needed in my life but am now convinced I do. The key to that is patting the chicken dry before tossing it with the olive oil and spices; leaving the moisture in the skin means it essentially steams in the oven instead of getting crispier and crispier with each minute it bakes.
On top of that, it’s beyond simple to make. Think one knife, one cutting board, one bowl, and two baking sheets simple. Weeknight simple. No leftovers to clean up because everyone will love it and devour it simple.
And now I like asparagus. It just doesn’t get much better.
There’s nothing not to love about this simple sheetpan supper of the crispiest spiced chicken, perfect spring asparagus, and the creamiest roasted potatoes.
Sheetpan Spiced Chicken with Asparagus and Potatoes
slightly adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Weeknight Fresh + Fast
2 1/2 to 3 lb. bone-in, skin-on chicken legs, thighs, and/or drumsticks
4 TBSP olive oil, divided
1 TBSP low-sodium soy sauce
1 TBSP ground mustard, divided
1 TBSP ground cumin, divided
1 medium onion, finely chopped
salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb. small (not baby) red potatoes, quartered
1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Position one rack in the center of the oven and one in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Pat the chicken dry, place into a bowl, add 2 TBSP olive oil, soy sauce, diced onion, 2 tsp. each of the mustard and cumin, and salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to coat. Arrange the chicken pieces on one side of one of the baking sheets.
- Put the quartered potatoes in the same bowl. Add the remaining olive oil and spice mixture. Season with salt and pepper, toss to coat, and spread out, cut side down, on the other side of the baking sheet. Bake on the top rack, 30-35 minutes, until the chicken starts to brown.
- Meanwhile, place the trimmed asparagus on the second baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast on bottom rack until tender, leaving the chicken and potatoes on the top rack, 10 minutes.
- When asparagus is roasted and chicken is still tender, but cooked through, remove from the oven and allow to rest 3-5 minutes before serving.
yield: 4 servings