It seems as if spring has finally come to Dallas…except on Saturdays. Each of the last three Saturdays have been chilly and windy and drizzly. The other six days of the week have, for the most part, gotten their business together. I’ll take it.
To celebrate those days when the sun is shining and my windows are open, I’ve been making this light, colorful salad. The ingredients all play nicely together–but make no mistake–the bright red spring strawberries are the star here. As much as I like all the other ingredients here, this salad would be nothing without the strawberries. Spring is here, friends. Let’s enjoy every minute.
Are you a strawberry stan? Try these standout recipes.
- strawberry shortcake cookies
- goat cheese strawberry grilled cheese
- strawberry balsamic pie–Yes, vinegar in a pie. Trust me. It’s incredible.
Bright red spring strawberries steal the show in this light salad just meant for sunnier spring days.
Strawberry Cucumber Spinach Salad
adapted from Lemon Tree Dwelling
For the dressing:
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. black pepper
For the salad:
3 c. fresh spinach leaves, washed and chopped
1 c. chopped strawberries
1 c. chopped cucumbers
1/4 c. diced red onion
2 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 c. slivered almonds, toasted
1 TBSP fresh mint, minced
1. To make the dressing, pour all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to combine.
2. Place spinach in a large serving bowl or four individual bowls. Add equal amounts of the strawberries, cucumbers, and onion, then drizzle dressing over the top. Sprinkle cheese, almonds, and mint on top. Serve immediately.
yield: 2 servings