Do you all read Prevention RD? If you don’t, you need to wander on over to take a look. Nicole, the force behind the blog, is a registered dietitian (hence RD) by day and a blogger, cookbook writer, and chili lover by night. Her recipes always look mouthwatering–not the crunchy granola, spinach leaves with a splash of lemon juice as salad fare that makes people run from healthy dishes. No, Nicole dishes up a whole lot of yum. Plus, she knows that a once-in-a-while splurge is okay. Gotta love that.
A few weeks ago, her publisher reached out to me about doing a giveaway for her first cookbook, Prevention RD’s Everyday Healthy Cooking. After a quick e-mail to Nicole to make sure it was legit, I e-mailed back to say I’d LOVE to do a review and giveaway. I’ve made several of Nicole’s recipes in the past and I just couldn’t wait to introduce new readers to her talents.
After flipping through the pages, I knew this dish would be perfect for my blog. I love my Meatless Mondays and anything with poblanos is a winner in my book. I did make just one change to the recipe–because of a dairy sensitivity, I used goat cheese instead of a Mexican blend. Nicole keeps things easy by calling for a pre-made pie crust, but you could certainly make your own–just remember the nutritional information will change.
The quiche was a winner. I will say, it wasn’t as uber rich as traditional quiches tend to be, but I was okay with that. It’s that calorie-bomb richness that keep me from enjoying quiche more than once or twice a year. With this quiche, I didn’t feel so guilty taking down an entire slice.
If you’d like to be a winner, you’re in luck. Skyhorse Publishing has generously provided a copy of Prevention RD’s Everyday Healthy Cooking for one lucky reader. There are a few ways to enter. You can earn up to five entries for this giveaway by doing any of the following:
1. Leave a comment telling me your favorite healthy recipe. Links welcome!
2. Follow Apple a Day on facebook and leave a comment on my facebook page letting me know.
3. Follow Apple a Day on Instagram and leave a comment here telling me your instagram handle.
4. Follow Apple a Day on Pinterest and come back here to tell me you’ve done so.
5. Follow Prevention RD on facebook and leave a comment here letting me know.
The giveaway window closes at midnight CST on Saturday, September 28. The winner will be chosen by random integer generator and contacted via e-mail.
Roasted Poblano and Potato Quiche
very slightly adapted from Nicole Morrissey, Prevention RD’s Everyday Healthy Cooking
3 large or 4 medium poblano peppers
1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
10 oz. potatoes (about 4 small) diced
1/4 onion, diced
1/4 c. half and half
1 frozen pie crust
1/2 c. goat cheese or 2% Mexican blend cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper, plus more to taste
1. Preheat oven to broil (500 degrees F) and place poblanos on a baking sheet to broil, 5-7 minutes, turn once. Alternately, place peppers directly on the grates of a gas stove or grill. When peppers are charred on all sides, place in a paper or plastic zip-top bag. Seal and allow to sweat 10 minutes. Removed charred skins, seed, slice, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook 7-9 minutes until beginning to brown. Add onion and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add chopped poblanos and heat through, 2-3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, half and half, and salt and pepper.
5. Using a fork, poke holes in the bottom of the pie crust. Sprinkle half the cheese into the bottom. Spread potato mixture into the crust. Pour egg mixture over the top and allow to settle into the crevices. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Bake 20-24 minutes or until set. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
Yields: 6 servings