For quite some time now, I’ve had quesadillas on the brain. I’m thinking it was some form of withdrawal. You see, I love quesadillas and hadn’t had one in a while. I mean, what’s not to love about lots and lots of delicious toppings covered in gooey, melted cheese and sandwiched between crispy tortillas? Exactly. You can’t not love that. Seriously. You can’t.
And those toppings? I always have fun mixing it up. Who says it has to be plain ol’ cheese anyway? Add any kind of meat (or not), veggies, and cheese that sounds good to you. This version features ingredients with a tropical flair. The chicken was flavorful and moist, but you could just as easily make a vegetarian version by warming up black beans with the same spices.
Tropical Chicken Tacos with Mango-Avocado Salsa
adapted from Pennies on a Platter
originally from SkinnyTaste
For the salsa:
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 habañero (Scotch Bonnet) or jalapeño, seeded and diced
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
juice from one fresh lime
1/4 c. chopped red onion
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the quesadillas:
2 TBSP olive oil, divided (I probably used less with my mister.)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
salt, to taste
2 boneless chicken breasts (or 2 c. black beans)
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
8 medium/soft taco size tortillas
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
1. Place baking sheet in oven and preheat to 200 degrees F.
2. To make the salsa, combine all ingredients in a nonreactive bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 TBSP oil in a large skillet. Combine the cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small
bowl. Sprinkle over the chicken breasts, on both sides, to coat. Sauté chicken until cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. Set aside to cool slightly, about 3 minutes. Cut into a small dice or shred.
4. Lay out four tortillas and assemble quesadillas in this order–cheese, onion, bell pepper, chicken, cheese. Top with remaining tortillas.
5. Using 1/4 (about 1 tsp.) remaining oil, reheat skillet. Lay quesadilla in the skillet and let cook until the bottom of the tortilla is golden and
crispy. Flip and let cook until the other side is also golden and
crispy. Serve immediately with a 1/2 c. salsa or keep warm on baking sheet in oven. Repeat cooking process with remaining quesadillas. Serves 4 as a main course.