Before the beginning of every school year, I make quite a good amount of food to freeze. I know the start of the school year is hectic and, more often than not, I come home completely exhausted. Instead of picking something up or ordering pizza, I know I can rely on something I’ve got at home.
This pizza is the result of putting together a few fresh items and a couple of things from my freezer stash–pizza dough and pulled pork. It was simple to throw together and so, so delicious.
Pulled Pork Pizza
an “Apple a Day” original
1/2 recipe pizza dough
1 1/2 c. pulled pork
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 c. barbeque sauce
1 1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 green onions, sliced
1.The night before making pizza, remove the dough and pork from the freezer and place in the refrigerator to defrost.
2. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. If using a pizza stone (I highly recommend it), place in the oven at this time.
3. On a floured work surface, roll out pizza dough. When oven is heated, place dough on to pizza stone. Bake for three minutes.
4. Meanwhile, use 2 TBSP of the barbeque sauce to coat the pork. Reserve remaining sauce.
5. When dough is finished, remove from oven, still on the stone, and flip over. Brush outer edge with olive oil and spread remaining sauce evenly over the middle. Top with half the cheese, then pork, shallot, and remaining cheese. Place back in the oven and bake 7-8 minutes more, until cheese is melted and beginning to bubble.
6. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle red pepper and green onions on top. Let cool 3-5 minutes, then serve.
one year ago: beer-braised barbecued chicken
I know things are about to get more hectic for me here in the next couple of weeks since I will be returning to work after being at home with my son for 3 1/2 years. Having freezer meals ready for quick prep is a great idea. Pizza would make any after work day better. Great recipe. Crave worthy.
I love any reason for pizza, especially one that looks like this! Yum! Have fun going back to school! Hope you have a GREAT school year!
I pulled dough out of the freezer for pizza this week also.
I've heard of BBQ chicken pizza but never would have though to use leftover pulled pork!
Due to my dad's new smoker, he loves a to give us pulled pork. I've never thought to use the leftovers on a pizza!
Pizza and pulled pork…two of my favorites combined! Nice recipe.
So glad you like the idea, ladies. Let me know what you think of it!
I've been looking for ideas to use up our leftover pulled pork, this sounds great!! Might be giving this a try tonight, thanks for sharing!!
Love pizza. Have leftover pulled pork…what to do, what to do.
This sounds divine, thanks for posting this.Simon