Another Meatless Monday, another delicious recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty. This recipe is another one of those wonders where just a few simple ingredients turn into something absolutely divine. There, I said it. These eggs were divine.
I hope the winner of Plenty makes them soon. So who is that winner, you ask? It’s you, Kate! Kate named the time-consuming but so, so worth it butternut squash lasagna as her favorite vegetarian dish. Plenty doesn’t have a recipe for this dish, but I bet she’ll enjoy Ottolenghi’s mouthwatering butternut squash with sweet spices, lime, and green chile. If we’re lucky, maybe she’ll even put it on her own awesome blog. Congratulations, Kate! I hope you enjoy your new cookbook!
Baked Eggs with Yogurt and Chile
adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi, Plenty
2 TBSP olive oil
10 oz. arugula or spinach
2 garlic cloves, minced and divided
3/4 c. Greek yogurt
3 TBSP unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
6 sage leaves, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Also preheat a saute pan over medium heat. Add oil to warm.
2. Add arugula or spinach and half the garlic to to the pan and sprinkle with salt. Saute about 5 minutes, or until the greens wilts and most of the liquid has evaporated.
3. While greens are sauteing, mix yogurt and remaining garlic with a bit of salt. Set aside. Do not refrigerate.
4. Transfer greens to a small ovenproof dish and make four deep indentations. Break an egg into each space, taking care not to break the yolks. Place in the oven to cook 10-15 minutes, or until the whites are set. (Alternatively, divide greens into two small pans and cook two eggs in each.)
5. While eggs are in the oven, clean out saute pan and place over medium-low heat. Melt butter. Add red pepper, paprika, and salt. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until butter begins to foam and turns golden-red. Add the sage and cook a few more seconds. Remove from heat.
6. Once the eggs are cooked, remove them from hte oven. Spoon the yogurt over the center and drizzle with butter sauce. Serve immediately. Serves 2.
one year ago: Thai chicken salad