Meatless Mondays are back! Hooray! When I first decided to do meatless Mondays, I had so many ideas to fill the days. I got derailed with the events of the past weeks, but I’m now back on track. Thank goodness! It feels really good to be back on track the week I’m getting married! Can you believe it?!? I certainly can’t. I can’t believe this time next week I’ll be Mrs. M. What a great feeling.
The coming week is certain to be one of the busiest of my life, so I want to make sure I feel my best and have plenty of energy. Protein-packed foods like this quinoa with edamame will certainly do the trick. I love quinoa and this variation is no different. The flavors are bright and fresh and the leftovers are great with a little extra drizzle of oil and some feta sprinkled on top.
Quinoa with Edamame
adapted from Eating Well
1 c. quinoa
2 c. vegetable broth
2 c. frozen shelled edamame, thawed (10 oz.)
zest of one lemon
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
2 TBSP chopped fresh tarragon or 2 tsp. dried
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 c. toasteded walnuts, chopped
1/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled
1. Toast quinoa in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, for five minutes. Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
2. Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
3. When broth is boiling, add the quinoa and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook gently for eight minutes.
4. Remove the lid and, without disturbing the quinoa, add edamame. Cover and continue to cook until the edamame and quinoa are tender, seven to eight minutes longer. Drain any remaining water, if necessary.
5. Whisk lemon zest and juice, oil, tarragon and salt in a large bowl.
6. Add peppers to the quinoa mixture. Toss to combine. Top with walnuts and feta and serve. Serves four to six as a side.
one year ago: Another great vegetarian option, velvety potato and cilantro soup.
two years ago: cranberry-ginger scones
three years ago: shrimp fra diavolo
I am so happy for you about your upcoming wedding! You are going to be such a beautiful bride and I can't wait to see photos! This sounds so delicious and I love a protein packed meal. Yummy!
Both blogs I've looked at this morning have featured edamame and I have some in my lunch. I officially declare this edamame week in honor of your wedding.
I am so excited for you! This will be a busy week, but so totally worth it in the end. This dish sounds fabulous.
Toasting the quinoa sounds like a great idea!
This is a Great Idea!