We all have our reasons for looking forward to the weekend. Some just want to sleep in, some can’t wait to party, and some are pumped for sporting events. Me–I can’t wait to sleep past sunrise, make a real breakfast, and enjoy an extra cup of coffee instead of slurping it down while I do my hair and makeup.
Throughout the week, I dream about my weekend breakfast. Some weekends I want a savory egg-based dish and sometimes I’m after something sweeter. With spring in full swing, I was craving something slightly sweet, but with bright flavors. These muffins were exactly what I was after!
The original recipe calls for more sugar, but I tend to like things less sweet than most recipes make, so I decreased it. It also called for cherries, but I wanted to use the new crop of bright red strawberries. To tell you the truth, I think this would be a great base recipe for just about any combination of citrus juice and fresh berries. Perfect for a relaxed weekend breakfast no matter the season!
Lemon-Ricotta Muffins with Strawberries
adapted from Joy of Baking
originally from Mollie Katzen, Mollie Katzen’s Sunlight Cafe
1 c. ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1 TBSP vanilla extract
4 TBSP unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c.granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBSP lemon zest
1 1/2 c. strawberries, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line 12 muffin pans with paper liners or spray with non-stick baking spray.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Add the buttermilk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cooled melted butter, mixing well. Set aside.
4. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
5. Add the ricotta mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined and then fold in the chopped strawberries. Do not over mix this mixture or the muffins will be tough when baked.
6. Divide the batter amongst the 12 muffin cups. Place in the oven and bake 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
two years ago: banana cake with chocolate-peanut butter frosting
I’ve submitted these muffins to Sweet as Sugar Cookies‘ Sweets for a Saturday party. Click the button below to see what the other participants shared!