I’ve been taking extra care with my meals lately. As soon as I laid eyes on this one, I knew it was a winner. Plus, it was a cinch to whip up on a busy weeknight. Thank goodness!
Crispy Mustard-Walnut Chicken
adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Weeknight Fresh and Fast
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 egg whites
2 TBSP Dijon mustard
1/2 c. Panko
1/3 c. walnuts, chopped
1 small shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 TBSP olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees Farenheit.
2. In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg white and Dijon mustard until well blended.
3. In a pie pan, combine panko, walnuts, shallot, garlic, lemon zest, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to blend.
4. Warm the oil in a large ovenproof non-stick pan.
5. Coat the chicken with the egg mixture, then dip into the panko mixture and coat thoroughly.
6. Place the chicken in the pan and cook until golden brown on the first side, about two minutes. Turn the chicken, then place the pan in the oven and bake until the chicken is springy to the touch, eight to ten minutes. Serves four.
one year ago: coffee ice cream
two years ago: cinnamon buttermilk muffins and some of my favorite cupcakes, almond-scented with raspberry filling and cream cheese frosting