Swimsuit shopping. Blech. One of the easiest ways to ruin a perfectly lovely shopping trip.
To get ready for the swimsuit shopping and this summer, I’ve been eating more salads. Lots and lots of salads. This, in combination with working out, had me losing weight and feeling fantastic as I headed out to Vegas for a weekend with my mom. She’d been planning for months and I was set to have a blast. The first night was wonderful. Then…disaster. I got the stomach flu. Seriously. Who gets the stomach flu in Vegas? Hangovers? Absolutely. But stomach flu? What a downer. Since I was feeling so puny, we did some shopping instead of going to the spa, drinking, and chowing down.
Stomach flu in Vegas? Bad idea. Swimsuit shopping the day after the stomach flu? FAN-TAS-TIC idea. I found two cute suits in one trip and, boy oh boy, did my stomach look flat!
I don’t plan to get the stomach flu again any time soon, but I do plan to keep up the salad regimen. That should be quite easy when I’ve got tasty ones like this on my plate. What a bright and unique combination of healthy and filling ingredients!
Caramelized Onion and Grapefruit Salad
from Giada De Laurentiis, found on www.foodnetwork.com
For the onions:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing:
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
2 pink grapefruits
1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced or torn into 1-inch pieces
1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
3 scallions, finely sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1. To make the onions, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onions, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool, about ten minutes.
2. Make the dressing by whisking together the red wine vinegar, lemon juice and honey. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. To prepare the salad, peel and trim the ends from each grapefruit. Using a paring knife, cut along the membrane on both sides of each segment. Free the segments and add them to a large salad bowl. Squeeze the juice into the bowl.
4. Add the lettuce, fennel, cucumber, scallions, and thyme.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until all the ingredients are coated. Arrange the caramelized onions on top and serve.
one year ago: Thai-style halibut with red curry-coconut broth
two years ago: My Inauguration Day submission to “Eat to the Beat”, a patriotic flag cake
You are going to love Kauai!
That salad looks wonderful. I love grapefruit and caramelized onions a lot. Wow,I'm so jealous- Hawaii. Have fun!
I just made a spin off of this recipe and oh my is it ever delicious!