I found this recipe while browsing the Williams-Sonoma website and it seemed like the perfect way to be healthy and indulgent at the same time. After a few bites, I decided a mug of this would be a great accompaniment to a small turkey or ham panini.
Broccoli and Leek Soup
adapted from www.williams-sonoma.com
2 TBSP. olive oil
2 leeks, including tender green portions, rinsed and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 lb. broccoli, trimmed, florets and stalks cut into one-inch pieces
4 c. chicken or vegetable stock
2 c. water
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3/4 c. light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, divided
2 TBSP finely chopped fresh chives
1. In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the leeks and garlic and sauté until softened, three to five minutes.
2. Add the broccoli and sauté, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about two minutes more.
3. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cover partially and cook until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Stir in 1/2 c. sour cream or yogurt then use a blender or food processor to puree the soup in batches until smooth. Return the to the pot. Alternately, process with an immersion blender until smooth.
5. Reheat the soup gently over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the sour cream or remaining yogurt and chives. Serve immediately.
one year ago: apple cranberry muffins