In this world, there are pancake people and there are waffle people. While I’m not really one to pass up a good pancake, I am definitely a waffle person. I love the extra crispiness and all those little divots just waiting to be filled with yummy toppings.
Unfortunately, waffles aren’t exactly the best thing in the world for you. But it’s not so difficult to make them a bit healthier. By simply exchanging some of the all-purpose flour for whole-wheat flour and oats, you’ve already made quite a dent. And don’t forget the toppings! One of my favorite ways to eat waffles, especially fruit waffles, is with plain yogurt and fresh fruit on top instead of butter and maple syrup.
So go get some fresh summer berries and enjoy these healthier waffles with a clean conscience, readers. Go on. You deserve it!
Honey-Oat Waffles with Fresh Blueberries
adapted from The All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole-wheat flour
1/2 c. old-fashioned oats, coarsely ground
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. honey
4 TBSP (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. fresh blueberries
plain low-fat yogurt, for topping
extra honey, for drizzling
fresh blueberries, for topping
canola oil cooking spray
1. Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Also heat oven to 250 degrees to use a warmer for waffles.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, honey, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries. Let rest five minutes.
4. Spray the preheated waffle iron with cooking spray and pour in the appropriate amount of batter, as noted by the manufacturer’s instructions. As you finish waffles, put on a jelly roll pan in the oven. Try not to stack waffles, as they will become soggy.
5. When ready to eat, top waffles with yogurt, a drizzle of honey, and more fresh blueberries. Enjoy! Serves four.