If you’re looking for a quick, delicious, healthy, and comforting dinner, this soup will most definitely fit the bill. It came together in just over 30 minutes, including chopping time, but it had the flavor of a simmered-all-day kind of soup.
Tuscan Vegetable Soup
adapted from Ellie Krieger, The Food You Crave printer-friendly recipe
1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium canellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 large zucchini, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juices
5 oz. baby spinach leaves
1/2 low-fat sour cream (for garnish)
1. In a small bowl mash half of the canellini beans with a masher or the back of a spoon, and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, sage, salt, and pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil.
4. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
5. Serve topped with sour cream, if desired.
One year ago: 1-2-3-4 lemon cupcakes