This week is my first week of school. I can’t believe I’m already beginning my fifth year of teaching! Where in the world has the time gone?
Just like each year before, the first couple weeks of school are even more exhausting that the regular weeks. You can’t just line the kids up. You have to talk about how to line up. Then you have to practice lining up. Then you have to practice again. And so it goes with pretty much any procedure in the classroom. The kids are still on summer mode. The attention spans are low and most of them would rather be just about anywhere but school. I can’t blame them. They really are trying to get into school mode. It’s just going to take a while.
After these long and arduous days, my body is ready for some hearty and nourishing meals. This one fit the bill. So for all you school teacher (and anyone else, really) out there…keep on plugging and enjoy the meal!
Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas
adapted from www.cookinglight.com
1 TBSP olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c. red onion, chopped
2 c. chopped Roma tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 grilled chicken breast, chopped
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
salt and pepper, to taste
1 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
6 flour tortillas, soft taco size
non-stick cooking spray
1 recipe warm corn salsa
1. Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Simultaneously, heat a separate grill pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Add in onion and garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add tomato and black beans to the pan. Simmer until nearly all tomato juice has evaporated.
2. Add chicken and cilantro. Sauté until chicken is heated through. Add cilantro, salt, and pepper to taste.
3. Assemble three separate quesadillas by splitting cheese and bean mixture over three tortillas. Top wit remaining tortillas.
4. Spray grill pan with cooking spray and place quesadillas in pan. Heat until cheese is melted on one side, then flip to cook other side.
5. Let cool, the cut into wedges, and serve with corn salsa.
One year ago: margarita cupcakes