If you were to ever ask me what my favorite flavor of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is, you’d barely finish your sentence before I blurted out a decisive “Chunky Monkey!” I just love it. It has always been my favorite and, though I welcome the taste-testing process, I think it will always be my favorite. Banana ice cream with big chunks of semisweet chocolate and walnuts. What’s not to love?
These muffins are my spin on that delicious ice cream. I added coconut to the flavor mix Ben and Jerry have already perfected and…WOW! These were great. If you’re looking for a healthy muffin, this isn’t it. In fact, they could almost be dessert. But for a once-in-a-while sweet breakfast, they’re just right.
heavily adapted from www.epicurious.com
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. sweetened flaked coconut, divided
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. walnuts, toasted
1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin cups with liners.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together bananas, butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, 1/2 cup coconut, chocolate chips, and walnuts in a medium bowl until combined well, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.
4. Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 23-25 minutes.
5. Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly. Yields one dozen muffins.
Oh holy deliciousness! These look INSAENLY good! GAH!
The combination of beans, chocolate, and coconut is unbeatable, yummmy!