With the holiday season and all of its decadent foods over, I’m definitely feeling the need to cook some lighter, healthier meals. For me, that means looking at what Ellie Krieger has to offer me. Her recipes are healthful, flavorful, and satisfying. I’ve been eating so much chicken lately and am really getting tired of it. As soon as I saw this recipe in The Food You Crave, I knew it was the one. Ellie recommends serving this over steamed rice or orzo, but I chose to serve it with homemade whole-wheat pita bread–my first-ever yeast bread!
1 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 c.)
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
2 (14.5-oz.) cans of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices
1/4 c. finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 TBSP finely minced fresh dill
1 1/4 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2/3 c. crumbled feta cheese (about 3 oz.)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken.
4. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, dill, and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top.
5. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and cheese melts, about 12 minutes.