I’m always on the lookout for simple, weeknight meals that will yield tasty leftovers I can take for lunch the next day. I know there are some haters out there, but Giada has never done me wrong in the tasty meal/tastier leftover department. Maybe it’s because I’m not Italian and didn’t grow up with my Italian grandmother, mother, and aunts slaving away in the kitchen and giving me pointers on how to feed the masses, but I really like Giada’s recipes. And honestly, most of her meals taste better the next day, when the flavors have had more time to develop and mesh. This one was mighty tasty for dinner, so we’ll see how it is for lunch tomorrow!
Whole-Wheat Penne with Turkey Sausage, Peas, and Mushrooms
adapted from Everyday Italian, by Giada DeLaurentiis
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil1 lb. hot Italian turkey sausage, removed from casingSea salt and freshly ground black pepper10 oz. cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped (I had to use button mushrooms)1 (10 oz.) package frozen peas, defrosted slightly1 pound dried whole-wheat penne1/2 c. freshly-grated parmesan cheeseDirections:
1. In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil.
2. In a large saute pan over high heat, add 2 TBSP olive oil. Season turkey with salt and pepper. Add turkey and saute, breaking any large lumps until golden brown. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
3. Add 2 TBSP olive oil to pan and heat. Add chopped mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the peas and saute for 4 minutes. Return the meat to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. When the pot of water has come to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain in a colander.
6. Return pasta to the pot and add the meat mixture. Combine thoroughly and gently cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Drizzle in remaining olive oil. If the mixture is dry, do not hesitate to use more olive oil, if necessary.
7. Check the seasoning. Turn off the heat and add the grated cheese. Stir well and serve in large bowl.