I may have mentioned this before, but one of my favorite things about summer is the wide variety of fresh fruit in season. Growing up, my mom put fruit salad with almost every meal and it was always my favorite part of the meal. Now that I’m grown up, I still love my fruit salad. But now I can add fun things like orange liquer, white wine, or in this recipe, Sambuca. This fruit salad is so simple, so good, and so summery.
Summer Fruit Salad with Sambuca
1 pint strawberries1 mango1 plum1 nectarine1 c. blackberries1 c. blueberries1/4 c. sugar, plus more as needed (the fruit was already sweet, so I only used about 1/6 c.)grated zest of 1 lemonjuice of 1/2 lemon, plus more as needed2 TBSP anise liqueur, such as sambuca or anisette, plus more as needed1 banana
1. Hull the strawberries and halve or quarter if large. Peel and dice the mango. Dice the plum and nectarine.
2. In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, mango, plum, nectarine, blackberries and blueberries.
3. Add the 1/4 cup sugar, the lemon zest, the juice of 1/2 lemon and the 2 Tbs. sambuca and stir well.
4. Dice the banana and stir into the salad.
5. Taste and add more sugar, lemon juice or sambuca, if needed.
6. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to overnight, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the flavorings before serving. Serves 4 to 6.