Joelen’stool of choice for this month’s Tasty Tools challenge was the all-mighty blender. As tempting as it was to post some sweet margaritas, I thought I’d try to find something a little more out of the ordinary. I didn’t go too out of the ordinary, but I thought blending up a barbeque–make that mango barbeque–sauce would at least show that I did, in fact, cook!
This recipe was very easy and very healthy. You can make the sauce the night before and just let the chicken marinate. By making the sauce, you can really control the amount of salt and sugar. Plus, you cut down on a whole bunch of preservatives.
Chicken with Mango Barbeque Sauce
Ellie Krieger, The Food You Crave
2 TBSP olive oil
1 small onion, diced (about 1 c.)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 c.)
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped (about 1 TBSP)
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
3 TBSP unsulfured molasses
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP fresh lime juice
1/4 c. no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 medium ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (about 1 1/2 c.)
2 jalapeno peppers or chipotle peppers in adobo (for smokier flavor)
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about three minutes.
2. Add the bell pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper, allspice, and cumin. Cook about two minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire, lime juice, and tomato sauce. Cook one minute moe.
4. Transfer mixture to a blender and add mango and jalapenos or chipotles. Blend until smooth.
5. Put two c. of the sauce in a large sealable plastic bag with the chicken and marinate at least one hour, up to overnight. Reserve the rest of the sauce for serving.
6. Prepare the grill or spray a grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
7. Remove the chicken from the sauce, discarding the sauce in the bag. Grilled the chicken until just cooked through, about seven minutes on each side.
8. Serve the chicken with reserved sauce on the side.